Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas during deployment

So the holiday has come and gone.  Wish I could say mine was filled with everything I had hoped for.  Wish I could say that I was surrounded by all of my family and friends.  Wish that I could say I was filled with the Christmas spirit. 

In all the days leading up to his deployment date and right up to Christmas Day I had never entertained the idea that I would not at the very least be able to wish him a Merry Christmas on the day in some form.  It didn't happen though.  I went to bed Christmas night with such a heavy heart.  As a parent I just never thought that I wouldn't be wishing my youngest son a Merry Christmas. 

Of course I know that he knows we love and miss him and that we thought of him non-stop all during the holiday.  It just isn't the same though.  I feel cheated out of such a simple wish....to say to your child, "I wish you a Merry Christmas."  Uggghhhhh.  The simple thing to many I know shouldn't be upsetting me so, but it did. 

It offered a really big lesson.  I never really gave such a gesture the worth that it really deserves.  Being able to tell my son yesterday, "Merry Christmas" would have been priceless. 

I did have a day with some memories, some laughs, and for sure found pleasure in seeing other family members.  Christmas 2012 though will be one that I will not ever forget. 

Lots of love to you, your Soldier, and your families,
Faith

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your pain Faith, I did get to chat with my soldier for a few. I am praying for you. ♥ ((( HUGS ))) from one soldiers mom to another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Marine mom, my son spent last Christmas in Afghnistan. Every night before bed I would go outside and talk to the moon and he would do the same. It helped us feel more connected. Deployment can only be handled one day at a time. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete