Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Joselyn's shared story of "Mom I Am Joining The Army"

How my son Chris announced he was going to join the Army?Well Chris had been dating his girlfriend Alexis who was still in school and well he saw the relationship was changing and thanks to good ole Face book he read some stuff that was unsettling to him.He was at work at his job at a Auto Parts Store and he walked in the door on a Thursday and said,"Alexis broke up with me via text message and told me to go get my class ring."Which he did.Having his heart broken was the absolute worse thing to date for me as a mom I could not fix.If he wanted to play football I could time him and get him into shape,If he wanted a role in the school production we would rehearses his lines,when he wanted to drive,I taught him how but a broken heart mama could not fix.So as he headed down the hallway to his bedroom I sat and absorbed it all.The next day his buddies took him out over the weekend(somethings a mama does not need to know lol) and he went to work Monday.Alexis had changed her status to in a relationship already.So Tuesday he text me and said he was coming home early he had something to tell me,I thought great he and Alexis got back together he walked in with a handful of papers and said,"Your now the mom to a Army Soldier"?Excuse me he told me he would be leaving ASAP cause he just did not want to be around here to mend his broken heart.He said he would be gone 9 weeks to train.I thought ok well he has never been away from me since birth that long but ok.After a drink he tells me actually mom it will be 5 months cause I'm going to do back to back BCT and AIT.He was anxious to leave and we were under a winter storm watch we had 21 inches of snow on the ground.So he left at around 5am 19 years old,never away from home and with a broken heart to do something and go some place unknown.I resented Alexis cause I felt he would of never joined if she had not broken up with him.My whole world just walked out the door,who would cook him grass soup when he got sick?,who would wash his clothes he never did?So for 5 months I got a phone call every Sunday and I read about Alexis having Senior Prom and graduation and we were not a part of that she broke up with us as well.We made the 1000 miles drive to FLW Missouri to family day after not seeing him for 5 months.After we shared family day we were leaving and I was crying saying that is not my son what has the military done to him?He does not smile.He did not laugh.He was well uptight.So next day was graduation and one of the proudest moments.We got home and it was music to my ears to hear the xbox,seeing cabinet doors open.After about 3 months Alexis and him started talking and I thought oh no!He sat me down and said,"Mom I love her and I will marry her some day."So they got back together 9 months later he proposed in a fairy tale proposal 10 months later they married and she is a military wife.Chris deploys for 9 months first one in Jan.I no longer feel resentment towards her breaking up with Chris she saw the grass was not greener.The Military has opened doors for school,medical,money and he is a great man as she is young lady..............Joselyn Taylor

1 comment:

  1. Wow Joselyn, that is a tough way to enter the world of being an Army Mom. I am happy to hear that it is all working out now though! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete