Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Hero and A Holiday

Here I am plugging at it still.  Today my count is up to "day 17".  I remember thinking I couldn't get thru one day of knowing he was in a war zone and here we are going on nearly 3 weeks now.  I have been very fortunate to have fairly regular contact with him.  I went three days without having us catch each other, but I was able to know thru his buddies with him that everything was okay and that it was just a matter of timing. 

Our town welcomed home a Hero on Day 10.  Our family has known this great young lady since she was a baby.  She graduated from high school with our oldest son in 2007.  Back this past June she was injured while serving in Afghanistan.  Her unit suffered 3 loss of lives and several others injured.  Helaina being one of the severely injured.   It was with great pleasure that my husband and I participated in the convey that brought her across into our Town line.  The Firetruck he was driving was decorated with a Flag that had an attached yellow ribbon on it.  That yellow ribbon was made for me by my mother in law the week or so before Jake left.  To me that flag, that ribbon, and that truck was us honoring our local Hero as well as honoring our own deployed Soldier. 


The day was filled with lots of emotions.   I certainly haven't had to go thru what her family has gone thru, but I understand the excitement that they must have woke up with that morning.  Her family was my first thought as the day began.  They were bringing daughter home.  Their child would be back in their house that night.  Wow!  Injured or not, that is something very hard to explain to those who aren't part of a military family.  

My mind kept thinking all day how lucky our town was that she was being welcomed back home alive.  I have watched way too many videos on YouTube of Soldiers who have huge parades and homecomings as their bodies are brought home to their families.   

My thoughts would jump ahead and wonder how we would welcome our Soldier home.  I kept thinking what if.  What if it was him who got hurt.  What if it was him that had under gone numerous surgeries and many more to go?  What if he was being welcomed home like those in the YouTube videos?  Lots of emotions ran thru me for sure all day long.  

When I hugged her, I did so twice.  I told her once was for her and once was for my own Soldier.  She spoke softly in my ear, "I am keeping him in my thoughts."  This beautiful young wounded Soldier just told me that she was thinking of my son.  I know it shouldn't surprise me, cause all Soldiers look out for one another, but to hear her say that even in her days of struggle she is taking the time to think of Jake was very incredible.  Perhaps that other hug was for my Jake...only it was coming from her and not to her.  

Not sure I have much to share about our Thanksgiving Holiday.  Our family traditions have changed so much over the recent years that I guess we dont' even have family traditions anymore :(   A son joining the Army and parents wintering in Florida have made this Holiday not real big on my list anymore.   

I felt confident that he was being fed well.  It seems the military only gets press during football games on holidays...we see all the smiling soldiers eating lots and lots of food and we all watch thinking that things are "just fine" over there.  Ya well, tell that to the parents of the 4 military personnel that were killed since Nov 18th in Afghanistan.  1 Sailor, 1 Marine and 2 Army Soldiers.  It isn't just fine cause it is a Holiday.  

So ya, Thanksgiving came and we ate some food and I watched the Macy's parade, but it wasn't the same...by now I usually am all decorated for Christmas.  Not this year.  I keep having to re-convince myself everyday that I am even going to do it.  Holidays are best when shared with those you love....how do you do them when they are so far away from home?  I know I need to just make the best of it....I will do it, but sorry, some days I want to whine about it :)  

Hoping that you all are doing well and as usual, always sending love to you and your Soldier.
Faith



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Faith. Truly brought tears to my eyes. I am one of the fortunate ones that my daughter did not get deployed with her unit due to her foot injury. God Bless that military family of that young soldier in your town. So glad she made it home. And God Bless you for plugging through each day. I, too, am thinking of your Jake, and praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holidays make the separation worse. I love your thoughts.

    Thanks for sharing your town's wonderful story. We often see the pictures of parades and gatherings for those who are fallen. But this brings tears just the same. Thank God she is home with her family.

    Praying for your Jake this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete