Friday, September 14, 2012

Hooah!

Hooah (who-a) adj, [slang] used by soldiers, primarily infantry, airborne, rangers] referring to or meaning anything and everything except "NO". Once heard mainly from infantry soldiers, hooah has spread throughout the Army over the years. Soldiers will continue to acknowledge a mission to be accomplished, a job well done, or any occasion imaginable with a loud, confident Hooah.

 While we were in Huntsville Alabama delivering Jake to Redstone we went to a Wal-Mart to pick him up a few things that he wanted.  It was my first time being out in the general public with my son dressed in his Uniform.  I find that when I am with him dressed in uniform it makes me stand a little taller.  We were waiting in line and this mother and her little girl approached us.  Jake sorta moved out of the way and thought that they were just getting closer to him cause of the line being full.  What we weren't expecting was what their reason was for approaching him.  The mother said, "Can she shake your hand?  She loves Soldiers."  My heart just beamed with pride.  This little girl was probably no more than 6 or 7.  She reached her little hand out to Jake and shook his hand with the biggest smile on her face.  A tiny whisper of "Thank you" came out of her as their hands parted.  

It was a great moment that I was so happy to witness.  He had just graduated the day before from BCT and to have him be shown such love and kindness at that time was reaffirming to him that he was where he needed to be, doing what he needed to be doing.  

As we were walking back to our van and chatting about that encounter with the little girl another awesome moment took place.    A man was walking towards us and as we all reached each other the man let out a "Hooah!"  Jake gave a Hooah back as their eyes met.  That was all that was spoken as we all kept walking in opposite directions.  That one word exchanged by what we assumed to be a Veteran Soldier to our new Soldier was all that needed to be said.  It was clear what the word meant to them both.

I will never forget that day.  As I think back to that memory on this day my heart is filled yet again with pride.  I am proud of not just my Soldier, but proud of the people who recognize the sacrifices and the job that he has committed his life to.  It makes me proud to know there are such Americans.  Hooah!

It is Friday...have your Red on?  
Sending love and support to you, your family, and your Soldier.  
Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment