Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What Not To Say To Us Mom's

Within the last couple of days I have come across a few friends that have during our conversation asked me about how my Soldier is doing.  I always welcome the opportunity to talk about where and what he is doing.  What I don't welcome is the often times silly things they will say back.  

Both friends the last few days have been told about my son's upcoming big D.  I have mentioned when approximately he will arrive there and a rough guess-stimate of when he will be back.   Each one of them said back to me, "Well at least there isn't much happening over there right now."  

SERIOUSLY?  Did you just say that out loud to a mother who is worried beyond worried about sending her son off to a war zone?  You seriously think that is helpful?  

Let me give you all a hint....it isn't!  

I won't even begin to give the numbers and statistics of the ongoing loss of lives and injuries that are happening every month over there...those of us who it effects, already know...but I would like to lash out and tell those who haven't a clue that maybe they should get more up on what is really happening in their country that effects those who are serving it.  

I know that people are only trying to be helpful, kind and offer words that they think offer support, but that sentence doesn't do any of the above.  It belittles a mother's worry and concern.  It makes it seem like it is no big deal to have a Soldier heading off on a big D.  

You know what would be a really good thing instead....reach out and offer a hug.  Or look at us and tell us that you know that must be a very hard thing to face.  Recognize our pain and worry and value it for what it is worth.  So having said that, I am sure I am preaching to the choir because most all of you who read this blog are wearing the same shoes that I am wearing...that of a parent of a Soldier...but I had to vent and get it out of my system.  

I hope that you have people who surround you with love, support and try to understand the good and bad days you have as being an Army Mom.  

Lots of love, 
Faith

2 comments:

  1. As you said, preaching to the choir here. I don't get it at all. I chalk it up to ignorance. I'm tired of people asking me what my daughter needs and when I tell them she just wants letters and cards their response is 'but I want to send her something'...ok...send her a letter or a card! And then they say 'but I see her on Facebook'. That's not the same! She wants to open a letter...or a short note. No one understands what I mean! Great post Faith. I enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favs is, well, it's just like sending them off to College! What? And I have also been told, "well, at least there is not a war going on". I live outside Ft. Bragg, NC....don't tell me there is NOT war going on. But you are right, I take a deep breath and run to talk to my Army/Military Moms who understand.....it's what gets me through the day! Thank you for this because we are ALL THINKING it! xoxo HOOAH!!!

    ReplyDelete