Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Seeing Red White and Blue

If I had to pick the number one thing that I dislike the most about having a son in the Army, it would be that I don't get to physically see his face anywhere near as much as I would like.  I have a child that doesn't seem to believe in EVER taking a pic to send me!  Dang kid!  (hint hint cause I know he reads this)  So something I do without consciously doing it is to have more and more things in our home that is patriotic and/or Army themed.  In my mind when I pass by something that makes me think of Jake, it is like having him here.  Know I have to admit that it isn't always a good thing though either.  For example he left from his last visit mid-July and I just opened the door to his bedroom a week ago because I had to put something in there.  In a goofy mother way though that is different.  Seeing his empty bed isn't something I want to look at when he first leaves from every visit home.  Looking at a Vermont Teddy Bear dressed in an Army uniform though is something that I do want to look at right after he leaves.  

Cathy, one of my friends recently asked me if I always displayed an American Flag or if it was something that I started doing after Jake joined the Army.  We have always displayed an American Flag at every house we have lived at since the early 90's.  Little Americana theme trinkets and decorating items have always been in my home.  What has changed though now is the amount of them as well as the meaning they portray to me now.  Last summer I redecorated our spare bedroom...currently now the bed is out and it has become my office space.  















 The room just makes me smile :)   The long rectangle framed set of pictures over the bed is from my Grandfathers Army unit back in 1944.  The wooden flag behind the lamp was a Christmas gift from my oldest son, Mike, back around 1997ish.  The triangle door knocker was made by Mike in middle school.  The book sticking out of the wooden box is one that Jake bought and read while he was at BCT.   The entire room is just full of things that make me feel good when in there working.

One day soon I have to get in his bedroom and clean it and prepare for his next upcoming visit.  I haven't done much changing in there.  I put a new wall border up and added a few sentimental framed art works to the wall, but it is primarily the same as when he was here....except cleaner and smells better!  I was told once from my younger cousin Jason, who served time in the Army, that it is really comforting to Soldiers to know that they always have "home" to come home to.  I will never forget that conversation and the feelings he shared with me.  He remembers how his bedroom was turned into a new use nearly the day after he left for boot camp.  His emotions while telling me struck me.  Through his pain I learned a great lesson.  Jake will ALWAYS have a bedroom and a home to come home to. 

So I have found the compromise of keeping his room exactly that, his room, and making a few other changes here at home that gives me strength and comfort as an Army Mom.

Sending you, your family, and your Soldier lots of love and support!
Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment